Monday, June 13, 2011

Know the Past, Find the Future

I'm reading the most wonderful book right now.  It's a gift from my daughter who, raised as she was by a librarian, knows a good book when she sees one.  It's called, Know the Past, Find the Future. The New York Public Library at 100.  In it, a variety of writers, essayists and comentators as well as some New York Public Library staff members pose with and most times, comment on an item they chose from NYPL's massive and varied collections.  There are works of art, books, poetry, restaurant menusm manuscripts, sometimes with the author's handwritten notes, librettos and historical documents  There's even a baseball card, chosen by and commented on by playwright Will Eno.  The print, or card, is called "Unidentified Baseball Player with Mustache" and the photographer is James Wallace Black.  It's part of the Photography Collections in the Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art. 
As I read the comments on each item chosen by these writers,  I find myself eager to see the next item -- who chose it and what they have to say.  I'm disappointed with the contributors who didn't really contribute other than to pose next to the items they chose.
I found myself thinking as I was reading about the enormous collection that NYPL has amassed in its 100 years and how lucky we as New Yorkers are to be able to see it.  And as a New Yorker, anywhere in the state, you can have a library card from New York Public Library.  I have one right now in my wallet. 
We are lucky as New Yorkers to have the New York Public Library to call our own, along with our own local libraries. 
We are apt, in these difficult times, to take for granted those treasures we've always had and think they'll always be here for us.  Let's not do that.  Let's celebrate libraries and books and artwork and the wonderful writers whose works fill them.  They are what make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment